To maintain the nail enhancements in prime condition its very important to take care of your nail enhancements in the proper way.
Here are advices of maintaining nail enhancements.
Do's and Don't
*If you break a nail or it begins to lift, Do call your nail technician and book a repair appointment right away! Please do not pick or remove the rest of the nail enhancement yourself.
*Do not attempt to repair the nail yourself. Gluing a loose nail can cause moisture to be trapped between the nail and the nail enhancement leading to possible infection.
*Do not bandage a broken nail, it may trap moisture between the nail enhancement and nail causing possible infection.
*Do not take down the length of your enhancement yourself, as this will throw off the balance of your nail and it may look bulky. At the same time this will alter the stress area of your nail structure.
*Wherever you can use a substitute to do things instead of using your nails.
Getting nail enhancements requires maintenance, you should be visiting your nail technician every two to four weeks to have the nail enhancements rebalanced. As the nails grow, the enhancements faces more pressure and stress, therefore rebalance the new growth area can strengthen the enhancements and balance out the pressure on the enhancements. If you don't regularly fill the acrylics or gels then chances of lifting, breaking, and snapping of the nail enhancements are more prone to happening.
TREAT YOUR NAILS AS JEWELS NOT TOOLS!
- Do use knuckles instead of your nails when possible
- Do wear gloves when doing the washing, gardening or when using harsh detergents
- Do use the pads of your fingers instead of the tips of your nail enhancements when taking laundry out of dryer.
- Do pick up objects with the pads of your fingers.
- Do not put upward pressure on your nail tips, use a spoon or similar object to open cans of pop etc...
- Do use a pencil or similar to dial phone or text.
ACRYLICS: APPLY TOP COAT EVERY OTHER DAY
Acrylics are porous, meaning they have open pockets in the nail enhancements causing liquid and air to pass through. A coat of clear top coat with UV inhibitors can act as a barrier from polish staining, and reflecting off UV sun rays - causes yellowing in enhancements.
But you can do an extra service of UV Top Coat right after acrylic enhancements which saves you time and effort of re-applying top coat every other day. If wearing Gel Nail Enhancement top coat is not needed!
GELS: APPLY CUTICLE OIL EVERY DAY
APPLY CUTICLE OIL/CREAM
Every night before you go to bed, do massage cuticle oil/cream around the cuticles to keep the cuticles supple and promote healthy nail growth. Keep a little bottle in your purse, by your desk, near your favorite seat in family room or kitchen sink. Whenever you have a moment use your cuticle oil/cream.
Note: Avoid cuticle oil/creams that contains mineral oil, lanolin, or petrolatum as they can cause lifting to the enhancements!
DO NOT RIP THE NAIL ENHANCEMENTS OFF!
If you do not want the enhancements anymore, make an appointment with your nail technician to remove the enhancements. PLEASE do not attempt to remove the enhancements yourself and rip them off. When you rip your enhancements, you will rip layers of your natural nail along with it and cause the natural nail to become so thin that it will be sore and red, if severe can cause the natural nail plate to lift off the nail bed.
CRUCIAL POINTS- Especially for the first 48 hrs!
Your behavior will determine how your nail enhancements will stay on! Any of the following increases the chances of Acrylics or Gels to lifting and snapping off!
- Do not pick the acrylics or gels nail enhancements.
- Do not bite the acrylics or gel nail enhancements.
- Do not go banging the acrylics or gel nail enhancements on hard surfaces
- Do not tap the acrylics or gel nail enhancements for fun (as many people tap nails on surfaces instantly after getting nail enhancements)
- Do not lift heavy objects with acrylics or gel enhancements.
- Do not open cans or containers with acrylics or gel enhancements.
- Do use knuckles or pads of your fingertips where possible replacing nails.
- Do not submerge acrylics or gels in detergents/water without wearing gloves (washing hands and showering is different).
- Do not use a acetone based polish remover (use non-acetone) on acrylic nail enhancements. ***You may use polish remover on Gel Nail Enhancements if you are polishing over them.
ALL ABOVE APPLIES TO ALL NAIL ENHANCEMENTS. All nail enhancements at all times should be treated like jewels!
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE YOUR NAIL ENHANCEMENTS OFF YOURSELF!
If you decide that you no longer want to wear enhancements, do not take them off yourself. Picking and pulling the nail enhancements off will damage your natural nail, rip layers from your nail plate and make re-growth a long and painful progress. Please do call a licensed professional nail technician to safely remove your nail enhancement.